Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ethical clothing pledge


After reading two blog posts, one over at Little EcoFootprints and one at Isismade, i have decided to join the ethical clothing pledge.
What is the pledge?
ok here is a quote from Isismade's post:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
T H E _ E T H I C A L _ C L O T H I N G _ P L E D G E
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I pledge to only wear clothing that is one or more of the following:
1. Pre-loved
2. Handmade (preferably by me)
3. Reconstructed
4. Made with ethical / environmentally friendly materials
5. Made by a company with strong ethical policy & workers' rights

* Companies with environmentally friendly practices (such as cutting down on waste/energy/water) get brownie points
* If I get one little inkling of sweatshop labour, I'm outta there!
* Above all though, I think the most important thing 
is reducing the amount of things we use in the first place. Not purchasing ANOTHER piece of clothing just for the sake of it is the biggest statement we can make.
This pledge was created in 2009 (yikes! and i only just found out about it, i'm so slow on stuff! haha) Isismade has posted updates on her original post and ideas etc, so the post will be helpful to check out if you are wanting to learn more.

Ok so you are wondering why should I join this pledge? (And you may be wondering if i am crazy, well those who know me would say i am haha)

The Age has a great article from last year about ethical clothing it also lists a few places you can buy ethical clothing in Australia, as well as get more info.
Ethical Links has a list of links on where to find info on which things are Ethical.



I also would suggest having a read of Unfair Trade: How big Business exploits the world's poor-  And why it Doesn't have too. It is a great book, my local library had a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment