Friday, December 20, 2013

Reverb13: day 19: self compassion





Prompt:
The Buddha said, “You, yourself, as much as anybody else in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”

In the past year, I have been on a mission to understand and practice self-compassion, which is sometimes defined as "extending compassion to one's self in instances of perceived inadequacy, failure, or general suffering," and what I have learned has made me realize that this practice is at the heart of everything. 

How will you practice self-compassion?

Sometimes, in our busy life, we forget about loving ourselves. we put our needs last.  Mothers often do this. i could write for hour on how self esteem and body image is self love etc. but i think whatever you do, you need to do things that make YOU happy. stuff that makes you truly happy, that is true self love. 

In my high school years I got bullied for being a short kid, for being skinny. i heard every joke about thin people over the years. I am just one of those people who no matter what is stuck buying clothes in the kid section, i am 27 years old  with 4 children but i get my own clothes from the kids section haha. It took me ages to realise, i was fine the way i am. 

I realised earlier this year, i am harder on myself then anyone else is on me. i am my worst critic. I strive for perfection in my studies & try to be perfect in other things. But , I am human, I can not be perfect. 

In 2014 i will strive to be mindful and  get back into yoga, i need to look after myself.





2 comments:

  1. Love this post and your colorful blog! Yeah for being mindful, yoga and looking after ourselves in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Jess.
    Perfection is overrated. xx

    ReplyDelete