Sunday, December 8, 2013

Reverb13 day8: what went right?

Prompt:
What went right in 2013?


Maybe you didn't quit smoking or lose those pounds or go to Paris, but something did work, did happen, and/or was realized. What was it?

This year Cody (my first son now aged 8) was diagnosed with ADHD, aspergers & auditory processing disorder. Previously to this he only had been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder.  So this year I've finally been able to demand the education department support him. He is also gifted so his IEP (individual education plan) carers to both ends despite the school at this stage getting zilch in funding for his extra needs. 

Tyson (my second son now aged7)was diagnosed with ADHD early this year and 2014 will see him being assessed for aspergers. So he has been given supports as well at school. 

Both boys are waiting for ndis to organise funding for them. But 2014, is looking like they will both be fully supported.

We also moved house in March, we now live around the corner from the school the boys go too.  Now that our rental is on the market we may have to move again in March when our lease ends. 

Charlie (my third son now aged 5)attended kinder links which got him familiar with the school and the prep teachers. I still can't believe he will be starting school next year! 


This year I completed a certificate IV in business sales, I started a diploma in community services in November.  So my studying has gone right. 

2013, has taught me that even if life doesn't go to plan, it still works out okay. 

6 comments:

  1. You are so amazing, to have developed such a full and nuanced picture of what is going on for your boys and put a plan of action into place.
    You are so wise and strong, it seems to me that whatever happens, you will be OK.
    I am so in awe of you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kat, I often get told i am a very good planner for things becuase I have a list and follow it. haha I think everything does work out in the end.

      Delete
  2. Like Kat I'm in awe of you! The strength you have in supporting your sons and helping get them what they need! Also working on your own education. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my greatest frustrations as a teacher is not being able to fully help parents navigate the system. I work at an alternative school, and there are so many children here that shouldn't be here but because their parents don't know their rights, nothing changes. I'm glad that you were successful in getting your sons the help they need. Stay after them! It is critical to remain on top of it.

    Jen - Pierced Wonderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree jen, the system is horrible to navigate. Luckily I am not afraid to bug the people higher up or ask questions, even if it means sending a bunch of emails or making calls etc , I think the higher ups tend to think "oh god she won't go away anytime soon we better listen " haha

      Delete